I realized this morning I have topics much more interesting to write about than what I'm eating. I moved to a remote part of Washington about 18 months ago from Portland, Oregon. From a small bustling metropolis to a backwoods, pickup truck driving farming community. Wow, what a change! My life has evolved dramatically and it's much more exciting than food :)
A couple of weeks ago, four wheel drive stopped working on our truck. Because of our location 4 wheel drive is absolutely necessary to have. Our cabin is located off of a forest service road rarely used by anyone but us. A couple of weeks ago, not having four wheel drive was ok because my husband was here to chain up and drive through the snow and mush. This week, however, he's out of town working and I had to chain up by myself (I'm talking real chains, not cable chains) and drive in the crud. Just to make driving more exciting we're currently experiencing our spring thaw which entails melting snow, intermittent snow fall and ice. Melting snow is really fun to drive in because you can gain no traction AND if you run into a bit of it you get sucked in, as we like to say.
For three days I got to drive in the spring thaw with no 4 wheel drive. I yelled, screamed, cried and cussed a lot. I also got to chain up, take the chains off and dig myself out of some spots where I got sucked in. Yesterday afternoon the mechanic got the part, called me in and fixed me up in about 15 minutes! Yahoo for helpful mechanics! I drove home last night in a state of bliss - no chains and I pretty much ignored the slush. It was fabulous.
Another exciting thing from this morning...eggs from the chickens! We haven't seen eggs since November and I was happy to see two this morning. Perhaps we'll finally see them on a regular basis. There's no egg as good as the one you get from your own chickens. They're delicious!
No comments:
Post a Comment